Also called "The White Dove of the Desert". The mission was founded in 1692 by Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino. Today's Mission was built between 1783-1797; it is the oldest European structure in Arizona. It is considered by many to be the finest example of Spanish mission architecture in the United States. Renovation of the West Tower was completed in 2008, but the recession halted the the preservationists plans for completing the East Tower. Currently in 2022 the East Tower is undergoing renovation financed by private donations and a grant. The reason the East Tower does not have a dome is because its builders ran out of money. There are no plans to put a top on the tower.
Canon EOS 7D, f/5 @ 35 mm, 1/80, ISO 1600, No Flash
© Mark Chinn